1.26.2005

Suga Shikao - Hitorigoto - Translation

Hitorigoto (Soliloquy)
Suga Shikao


The curtain in the eastern window swam in the wind
The air inside this room is as stagnant as always
I couldn't sleep well today so I thought about your voice

Standing in front of you, I bluffed with all my might
You nodded your head just a little and turned the other way
I'm carried on by my worn out sneakers and a haphazard beat

I say "I'll always be beside you" as a platitude
"Starting tomorrow I'll do it right," although I won't do one thing that I can
I won't do a thing...

I thought it was going well, but the sorrow's always remained
For the time being I'll forge ahead, pretending not to notice
I'll put on jeans that are too big and my worn pride

"I'll try to do a little better later," but I won't do very much
"Surely there'll be good things tomorrow," and if that's true that's great
It's great but...

I say "I'll always be beside you" as a platitude
"Starting tomorrow I'll do it right," although I won't do one thing that I can
I won't do a thing



Translated by Leslie H